Monday, December 13, 2010

Abandoning Self

"The world looks for happiness through self-assertion. The Christian knows that joy is found in self-abandonment. 'If a man will let himself be lost for My sake,' Jesus said, 'he will find his true self.' A Christian woman's true freedom lies on the other side of a very small gate---humble obedience---but that gate leads out into a largeness of life undreamed of by the liberators of the world, to a place where the God-given differentiation between the sexes is not obfuscated but celebrated, where our inequalities are seen as essential to the image of God, for it is in male and female, in male as male and female as female, not as two identical and interchangeable halves, that the image is manifested."
Elisabeth Elliot

2 comments:

  1. Great quote. . . and true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Elisabeth Elliot, and this is a wonderful quote. I agree with her whole heartedly and plan to share this quote with my girls.

    I'm so grateful that God created us male and female and different one from the other. I've always found the quest to tear down that wall to be such a sad one.

    ReplyDelete